U.S. Students Abroad FAQs

  1. Who is eligible to purchase a U.S. Students Abroad plan?

    The U.S. Students Abroad plan is available to citizens or legal residents of the United States between 14 and 65 years old who are students, scholars, or faculty members engaged in full-time international educational activities outside of the United States. Dependent coverage is not available on the U.S. Students Abroad plan. If you require dependent coverage, you may wish to consider our Global Citizen health plan.

    To be eligible, you must be a resident of one of the following States at the time of purchase:

    Alabama, Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, California, Colorado, Connecticut, Delaware, District of Columbia, Florida, Georgia, Hawaii, Idaho, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maine, Michigan, Minnesota, Mississippi, Missouri, Nebraska, Nevada, New Jersey, New Mexico, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Virginia, Washington, West Virginia, Wisconsin, Wyoming
    New York

    *Online courses are not eligible.

  2. If I have already left the U.S. am I still eligible to enroll?

    Yes. For this plan, HTH does not require that that you purchase the coverage prior to departure.

  3. How do I buy a U.S. Students Abroad health insurance plan?

    The fastest way is to purchase online. Begin by reviewing the U.S. Students Abroad plan benefits and pricing, then follow the step-by-step online purchase process (payment is by credit card). Buying online also allows you to register for the website immediately following the purchase. Students who buy 'offline' can also register for the website, but they must first receive their ID card in the mail.

  4. What methods of payment are accepted?

    Premiums can be paid by a major credit card online. If paying by check, please contact HTH Customer Service or your insurance agent for an enrollment form. HTH must receive payment by check prior to enrolling any coverage. Copies of checks will not be accepted.

  5. How are medical evacuation decisions made?

    The evacuation benefit pays for a medical evacuation to the nearest hospital, appropriate medical facility or back to the U.S. Transportation must be by the most direct and economical route. All evacuations require written certification by the attending physician that the evacuation is medically necessary and must be approved by HTH.

  6. Are acts of terrorism covered under this plan?

    Yes. The U.S. Students Abroad plan does not exclude illnesses or injuries related to terrorism or a terrorist act. In order to be covered in countries where there are open hostilities, such as Iraq and Afghanistan, a member must not be engaged in hostile or combative activities.

  7. How do claims work outside the U.S.? Do I pay out of pocket?

    HTH's Global Health and Safety services help members identify, access, and pay for quality healthcare all over the world. This includes a contracted community of elite providers in 180 countries. Members can access these carefully selected providers and arrange for the bills to be sent directly to HTH Worldwide. Please note, a member is responsible for their deductible at time of service, if applicable.

    Direct billing can be requested by calling the assistance telephone number listed on your member ID card, or by emailing globalhealth@hthworldwide.com. In the event that direct billing cannot be arranged, or HTH has not been contacted in time to arrange the payment, a member should pay out-of-pocket for the services they receive, obtain an itemized bill, and file a claim form with HTH for reimbursement.

    A claims instruction page is available online and can be accessed by visiting the U.S. Students Abroad Claims page. Claim forms are downloadable from this section of the site.

  8. How much will my insurance cost?

    The price of a U.S. Students Abroad plan is a monthly rate determined by a student's age as detailed below:

    Age 14 - 30: $38 per month

    Age 31 - 64: $100 per month

    For a specific quote, please visit our quoting tool and enter the appropriate information to obtain a quote. You may also review pricing in the U.S. Students Abroad Brochure.

  9. When will my coverage start?

    When you purchase an HTH Worldwide individual (voluntary) insurance plan, you get to select the date you wish coverage to start. Coverage will be effective on the date you select or the date we receive valid payment of premium, whichever is later. All coverage is subject to the eligibility requirements of that plan.

    Please note: HTH does not allow same-day enrollments, meaning the earliest an insurance plan may start is the day after you are purchasing the plan. For example, a policy enrollment done online on October 12th could have the earliest effective date of October 13th.

  10. Will my pre-existing condition be covered under a US Students Abroad plan?

    The U.S. Students Abroad plan does not cover pre-existing conditions for the first 12 months a member is on the plan. After that time period, HTH will cover pre-existing conditions so long as the member keeps his/her policy effective with no gaps in coverage. Please note: The pre-existing conditions exclusion is waived for the medical evacuation and repatriation of remains benefits.

  11. I need proof of coverage in order to sign up for my educational travel plans. What can I do?

    If you purchase an individual (voluntary) plan online, you will receive a confirmation email with your proof of coverage information, including access to an electronic ID card, within one hour of completing the purchase. If you choose to pay for your coverage by check or money order, you will receive an ID card by mail as proof of coverage. HTH will process and mail your ID card within two business days after we receive valid payment.

    Those members requiring formal letters for a specific country's Visa Consulate in order to obtain a visa (such as a Schengen visa) may contact HTH Customer Service toll-free at 1.888.243.2358 from Monday to Friday between 8 AM to 7 PM EDT to request that a letter be drafted.

  12. Where am I covered by my US Students Abroad plan?

    The U.S. Students Abroad plan is structured to provide a member on the plan coverage in any country outside the United States during the course of his/her educational activities. No benefits are provided in the U.S. on the plan.

  13. Can my parent register for the HTH Parents website?

    Parents of study abroad students who are enrolled in an HTH plan are eligible for free registration on the HTH Parents website at www.hthparents.com. On this site, parents can access HTH's database of doctors and other health and security information for outside the U.S. available normally to members. In order to sign up, a parent must be able to provide either their child's email address or policy number with HTH.

  14. Does the US Students Abroad plan cover dependents? Am I able to add a dependent onto my policy?

    No. The U.S. Students Abroad plan covers only the student/scholar/faculty member participating in studies outside the U.S. If a member wishes to obtain coverage for their friend or family member to accompany or visit them overseas, they may consider purchasing a separate plan from HTH. TravelGap Single-Trip plans are perfect for those traveling overseas for 180 days or less!

  15. How do I read the fine print?

    View the Plan Description for the U.S. Students Abroad plan.